Friday, June 11, 2010

Still Discussing the Intelligence Of President George W. Bush

An interesting exchange took place in the Coffee Shop forum of Blogger's help forums (a forum where bloggers ostensibly share their blogs and chat about blogging).  It started when this statement and question was posted;  All I know is that Bush seems to be a bumbling idiot. How is that he got elected to be president for eight years?  At first I thought it obviously passé, but was still intrigued that the question still lingered this far beyond the Bush White House, especially since the advent of the Obama era of enlightenment. (And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that we now have an articulate and well respected president, so please don't think me merely sarcastic here; I'm well intentioned, just given to general cynicism when it comes to politicians.)  The comments throughout the thread were actually complementary.  I found myself picking a knit over a minor difference and probably came across as an ardent Bush apologist which, though generally conservative, would not be true.  Like many conservatives I was not enamored with the Bush presidency for a plethora of reasons, of which I will not enumerate here.  Yet, I thought it interesting enough to look into a little deeper.

My contention on the thread was most people were duped by political spinmeisters who capitalized on the infamous "Bushisms" of George W. and made him to look like a dunce, when in actuality he is an intelligent and capable leader.  Then I pondered the prospect that maybe I was the one duped into believing the opposite by conservative spinmeisters.  So I took a look.  Of the many articles I found online,  I thought two particularly informative, one from Slate.com entitled The Misunderestimated Man; How Bush chose stupidity, and Too Smart To Be Dumb on Weekly Standard.com.  Though the Slate.com article was acrimonious and belittling to Bush, there were still some good points made.  What I found telling were the quotes from people close to Pres. Bush, including his wife's, that were less than complementary.  The article on Weekly Standard.com took an interesting tact in one point that suggested that since he didn't relate to the intelligentsia of Washington that he was considered uninformed and unintelligent.  Many other salient points were made in both articles and I would suggest you read them.  Both articles offered an abundance of food for thought in considering the intelligence of our Former President.


George W. Bush has noted that, "Smart comes in all kinds of different ways."  That's true and it takes different types of "smarts" for different types of situations.  I will admit that I could have been misled by the Bush apologists in regards to his command of the issues facing our nation.  Could he have been handled by the neo-cons in his administration when it came to the decision to go to war with Iraq?  Could have been.  I'd still say he exhibited strong executive leadership and an uncanny ability to relate to the American people, for which he couldn't have been dumb.  And, although I  wouldn't put him up against Pres. Obama in a debate, I think I'd still side with Pres. Bush on the ideals and principles we should use to govern our nation by.

3 comments:

  1. I read the two articles and found them to be rather, most probably, accurately scathing of Bush. However, if you don’t mind me bring up some side notes; both articles did raise some interesting points.
    1) The Slate article mentioned how many people found him to be stupid based solely on English mistakes. I’ve always found this an arguable point because I think it’s only stupid people who could truly come to the conclusion that someone who can’t spell is a nitwit. The coffee shop has many examples of people who have fantastic spelling/grammar but what they’re saying amounts to as much intelligence as found in a blond brain damaged rock. Whilst there are other examples of people who’s spelling/grammar can be better aligned with “shoot and hope for the best” but what they are communicating is actually meaningful.
    2) The weekly standard article brought up the point that just because somebody has a high IQ doesn’t mean that they are the smartest. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about that? I’m of the opinion it doesn’t, it simply measures your ability to perform in a certain area. Interestingly enough they are working on a new intelligence test which looks at the rational capabilities of a mind and word on the street is that it will be people who score high on this new test that will be deemed as “actually intelligent”.


    (this is what we are meant to do on this blog right? like actually discuss? or have I got myself confused?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on with the discussion aspect of the blog. Cheers on a well presented opinion!

    When I read the Slate.com article, I knew it would skew towards the dunce-ish aspect because Slate.com hates Bush, period. As many problems as there were associated with the Bush presidency, I think it discredits his critics to focus on his tongue-twisting malapropisms, solecisms, gaffes, spoonerisms, and truisms (as were mentioned in the article). It seems cheap, and as you point out, not necessarily a gauge for intelligence.

    You bring up a good point about IQ as well. I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that pointed out that the average self-made millionaire in the U.S. was a "C" high school and college student. I doubt anyone would impugn their intelligence because they they didn't have an "A" average from an Ivy League school. They do need a new system of quantifying intelligence, or maybe better stated as aptitude and ability.

    Thanks for your well reasoned response (and you know I love ya!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Smith, I have always struggled with spelling, my brother is dyslexic. I wouldn't have said either of us have low intelligence but his writing is unreadable and my spelling / grammer is didgy.

    There is so much more to running a country than ability to pass exams which is the current indication of intelligence. You need common sense, presentation skills, negotiation skills, ability to influence and get along with people. Pluss appearance has more to do with it than it probably should.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments are moderated and will not be published until approved by a blog administrator. All relevant comments will be published; spam comments will not.