Monday, June 7, 2010

Why Do It?

I've had people ask me, "why do you blog?"  In most cases the person will ask because they can't believe I'll spend valuable time doing something that seems so nonproductive.  And it really is nonproductive because I don't get paid to do it and it does take up quite a bit of my time (just ask my family!).  If you were to Google that question you'll get several different responses, but I think it's because it makes the blogger happy.  That's not just my anecdotal assessment, a study was done on the subject as well (Can Blogging Make You Happier?).   So, I guess the real question is, "why does it make you happy?"  Glad you asked.

There's really three reasons.  First, I like the creative outlet it provides.  It's my contention all people need some form of creative expression.  That doesn't mean people need to sculpt or be a musician or write, but people do seem to inevitably find some way to express themselves in non-conventional ways.  Just ask a fisherman if he thinks there's an "art" to good fishing, the non-curmudgeony ones will tell you there is.  I think listening to music is another form of creative expression, albeit indirectly, in that there is often a visceral reaction people have to music.  Another creative outlet would be writing, and judging by the shear numbers of blogs out there, many people would agree.

Another reason I blog is for the opportunity to express my thoughts and opinions.  Do I think I've anything to offer in the way of talent or expertise that others would care to read about?  Heck no!  What I do have is the desire to express myself, that's it.  As you know, everyone has a butt and opinions, and both stink! (I cleaned that up a bit)  Funny thing is, people still like to share their thoughts regardless, and I'm no exception.

The third reason I blog is for the discussion it leads to.  Why do we share our thoughts unless we want the dialogue it leads to?  If I opine it's because I want to know your thoughts as well.  It's the discussion that really brings me to the keyboard, much like a provocative question with friends is used to jump start a good chat.  It's through the discussion that we open up and share and allow others to get to know us better, and in turn get to know others better as well.

It's really as simple as that.  Oh, and I do it because it's fun.  Blogging that is.  And if I was to blame someone for introducing me to blogging, it would be my fellow contributor, Leon.  I happened across his blog one day and thought, "That looks like a lot of fun!"  Thanks for the intro man, and when I get in trouble with Lori (my lovely wife, and your friend) for blogging, I'm blaming you. Blog on!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you do it for the ocassional lolcat around the coffee shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! And you have me intrigued by the post you pulled. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are off and running...

    Good introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, guys! ^.^

    Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments are moderated and will not be published until approved by a blog administrator. All relevant comments will be published; spam comments will not.